Paddy Wilkinson’s boxing prowess earns him 75kg title at Full Power K-1 Fight Night 3 [Results & Videos]
Returning for its third instalment the Full Power K-1 Fight Night kicked off a busy year of martial arts action in Ireland on Saturday 21st January.
With some of the country’s top young K-1 fighters matched on the card it gave a real sense of what was to come for the rest of the year and those in attendance were not left disappointed.
Regular attenders will have witnessed Paddy Wilkinson’s (Malahide Martial Arts) abilities and skills improve since the inaugural show and it seemed fitting that he was backed as the main event against Viktor Sorokins (Relentless) for the 75kg title.
Under the tutelage of John “Johnny Jitzu” Redmond the young combatant is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and it was his boxing prowess which earned him a unanimous decision victory to lift the title.
It was by no means a mismatch and Sorokins had some moments over the course of the fight but Wilkinson, as we’ve come to know, hits hard and pinned him back against the ropes.
He applied a high tempo of pressure, unleashing shots to the body in wave after wave of attack which forced Sorokins to back up and protect himself.
Wilkinson is an exciting prospect and will be one to watch for the rest of 2017.
Not to be out-done the co-main event was probably the fight of the night in many people’s eyes.
A desire and hunger to win resonated from both fighters as Ben McGroarty (Louth Thai) and Paul Alexander (SBGi) went toe-to-toe in the centre of the ring.
In a pulsating back-and-forth contest, there was nothing to separate them after three rounds so we entered a championship round to declare the winner.
As exhaustion began to come into play, it came down to a matter of endurance and it was McGroarty who rose to the occasion and fought smartly to lift the 66kg title in front of his proud coaches Stephen and Karl Hodgers.
The tall, rangy Louth fighter played to his strengths by keeping the distance and using his reach advantage to land shots from the outside.
As Alexander tried to close the distance McGroarty went to the clinch and delivered dangerous knees to the body to subdue his attacks.
It was a frustrating end to the night for Alexander who showcased some excellent boxing early in the bout.
Elsewhere, Paulis Vilciaukas (Relentless) stopped Alan O’Toole (Black Dragon) early in the first round of their 67kg bout with a thudding right hook to the head.
Alexander Yankov (Compound/Ryano) stunned the vocal home support as he dismantled the threat of Keith Kavanagh (Full Power) inside two rounds.
Kavanagh, an experienced BJJ practitioner, found himself of the receiving end of some nasty inside leg kicks which buckled him.
Yankov sensed victory and continued to attack the damaged leg forcing a stoppage from the referee in round two.
In one of the most exciting contests Adrii Moraru (SBGi) took a hard-fought unanimous decision victory against Paul Healy (SBG Cork).
It was a thrilling exhibition of skill as both men treated the crowd to spinning kicks over the three rounds of action.
In the heaviest weight category of the night, Andrew Brennan (SBGi) and Red Cleary (Black Dragon) went to war in their 93kg bout.
Brennan was dominant and put Cleary on the ropes for large parts of the fight as he launched some nasty combinations to prevent his dangerous attacks from happening. Brenna took a majority decision victory.
Aaron McGuigan (SANDA) came through an intense battle with Gary Osbourne (Black Dragon) to earn a unanimous decision victory.
Osbourne looked exciting every time he closed the distance but McGuigan’s range was essential in providing him the win. He stayed on the outside and used excellent shot selection to out-score Osbourne.
Earlier on the night, we witnessed a new champion crowned as Armanas Sapas (SANDA) defeated defending 33kg champion Ben Harding (Full Power) via unanimous decision.
The young fighter showed no signs of nerves as he dominated the first round with a brilliant boxing display. For someone so young, he landed excellent uppercuts and raced into an early lead.
Harding composed himself and battled his way back into the contest in round-two as the home crowd roared him forward.
Entering the final-round it may have gone either way but Sapas listened to his corner to close out the fight and out-perform Harding.
He raised the 33kg belt aloft in front of his jubilant teammates as Harding was gracious in defeat.
Full Power K-1 Fight Night 3 Results:
- Paddy Wilkinson (Malahide M.A) defeats Viktors Sorokins (Relentless) via Unanimous Decision – (75kg – AM K-1 Title- 3 x 2min) – Main Event – Watch Fight
- Ben McGroarty (Louth Thai) defeats Paul Alexander (SBGi) via Unanimous Decision – (66kg – AM K-1 Title- 3 x 2min) – Co-Main Event – Watch Fight
- Paulius Vilciauskas (Relentless) defeats Alan O’Toole (Black Dragon) via TKO – Round 1 – (67kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Alexander Yankov (Compound/Ryano) defeats Keith Kavanagh (Full Power) via TKO – Round 2 – (68kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Andrei Moraru (SBGi) defeats Paul Healy (SBG Cork) via Unanimous Decision – (73kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Andrew Brennan (SBGi) defeats Red Cleary (Black Dragon) via Unanimous Decision – (93kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Aaron McGuigan (SANDA MMA) defeats Gary Osbourne (Black Dragon) via Unanimous Decision – (61.5kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Patrick Lehane (SBG Cork) vs Chris Johnson (Larry’s Kickboxing) – Draw – (70kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Eva Makarova (Champion MA) defeats Eilís Ní Hanluain (SBG Cork) via Unanimous Decision – (48kg – AM K-1 – 3 x 2min) – Watch Fight
- Abanoub Fares (SBG Cork) defeats Armand Herczeg (SANDA MMA) via TKO – Round 3 – (62kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Aidan Ryan (Louth Thai) defeats Eoin Chandley (SBG Cork) via Unanimous Decision – (54kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Oisin Duffy (SANDA MMA) defeats Dylan Cooney (Full Power) via Unanimous Decision – (66kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Melissa McArdle (Full Power) defeats Faye Moore (SBG Cork) via Unanimous Decision – (63kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Lee Walsh (Larry’s Kickboxing) defeats Shane Fitzsimons (Black Dragon) via TKO – Round 1 – (58kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Armanas Sapas (SANDA MMA) defeats Ben Harding (Full Power) via Unanimous Decision – (33kg – AM Junior K-1 Title Bout – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Johnny Woods (Full Power) defeats Lee O’Connor (Black Dragon) via Majority Decision – (64kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Brandon Walsh (Larry’s Kickboxing) defeats Setanta Quigley (SANDA MMA) via TKO – Round 3 – (38kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Jamie Thompson (Full Power) defeats Nikita Moraz (SANDA MMA) via TKO – Round 3 – (38kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Ryan Fitzpatrick (Kamikaze Fight Academy) defeats Andrew Mc Enteggart (Full Power) via TKO – Round 1 – (56kg – AM Junior K-1 – 3 x 1.5min) – Watch Fight
- Frankie (Full Power) vs Cillian (Sanda MMA) – AM K1 – Junior Demo – Watch Fight