KSW 40 Results: Pudzianowski vs. Silva

KSW 40: Mariusz Pudzianowski defeats Jay Silva; Gamrot-Parke no contest leads to crowd trouble

The number one Polish MMA organisation – KSW – brought their first show to Ireland last night.

KSW 40 welcomed over 8,000 fans to the 3 Arena, Dublin on Sunday and treated them to one of the biggest productions ever seen on Irish shores.

The organisation is well-known for their thrilling spectacle and KSW 40 was no different.

In the main event Mariusz Pudzianowski had to use all of his skills available to overcome the threat of Jay Silva and win via majority decision.

‘Pudzi’ attacked from the opening bell, swinging wildly, landing with his overhand right. He threatened for a takedown and completed it. As the first-round drew to a close he had Silva’s back and was attempting to sink in a rear naked choke.

The former ‘world’s strongest man’ continued to dominate the action in the second-round. He sprawled excellently to avoid a Silva takedown and then controlled the action from top position.

Silva, a late replacement for British fighter James McSweeney, survived the onslaught from Pudzianowski and attacked the Polish fighter in the final round. Pudzianowski looked tired from his earlier efforts and Silva took his opportunity; landing a flurry of strikes.

The Polish fighter scored a double leg and recovered in top position but Silva was able to reverse it and began a ground and pound. ‘Pudzi’ looked to be in danger but managed to sweep Silva and finished the round strongly.

The co-main event between Norman Parke and Mateusz Gamrot ended in a no contest after Parke had suffered two eye pokes, one in each round.

Due to Parke missing the 155lb title fight weight limit, the bout was rescheduled as a non-title three-round lightweight contest.

The simmering feud between both fighters was on display from the first moments of action. Parke, carrying a visible resentment for Gamrot, walked forward and threw caution to the wind.

Their exchanges were wild and had the crowd in full voice. The action had to be stopped twice in the opening round; firstly for an illegal kick to Parke’s groin and then a subsequent eye poke by Gamrot which followed the restart.

Parke called for Gamrot to attack him in the second-round. he wanted their exchanges to continue in what was turning out to be a war of attrition.

Unfortunately, Parke suffered a second eye poke and fell to the ground in pain. Marc Goddard waved the fight off; a decision which the audience did not agree with.

A number of incidents broke out amongst fans as security were called into action. In the cage, Parke was punched by one of Gamrot’s corner men and security had to separate both teams.

It was a bitter end to what may have been the fight of the night. Controversy still surrounds the match-up and we are left with no real winner.

Michal Materla received one of the biggest ovations of the night when he entered the cage to face UFC veteran Paulo Thiago. The fan favourite turned down an opportunity to fight at UFC Gdansk in favour of KSW.

The Polish middleweight conceded two takedowns in the first round but threatened with a kimura as the round progressed.

He set a high tempo early in the second-round, landing with a sharp right hand which sent Thiago to the floor in the opening minute. He smothered the Brazilian with a vicious ground and pound to end the contest.

Ariane Lipski defended her KSW flyweight title in impressive fashion. She demonstrated why there is so much hype surrounding her in Poland with a slick first-round rear-naked choke victory over Mariana Morais.

It took Lipski less than a minute to take her opponents back, sink in the choke and secure her first title defence.


Elsewhere, David Zawada almost finished former KSW lightweight champion Maciej Jewtuszko in the first-round of their contest. He dropped him twice in quick succession with powerful shots. Jewtuszko managed to recover but was unable to get himself back into the fight, losing via unanimous decision.

Irish fighters went 3-0 earlier on the card against their respective opponents.

SBG’s Chris Fields returned to action with a unanimous decision victory over the experienced Polish fighter Michał Fijałka. Fields threatened with his signature D’arce choke during the fight but Fijałka survived the submission attempt. He revealed after the bout that he’d completed the majority of his training camp with a broken hand.

Team Ryano’s Paul Redmond dominated his fight with Łukasz Chlewicki. Many thought he’d won by unanimous decision but the judges scored it via split decision. ‘Redser’ will look towards title contention in both KSW and BAMMA following the victory.

On the pre-lims, Paul Lawrence  defeated Konrad Iwanowski via split decision.

MMAPast Events
Alastair Magee

Recent Journalism graduate with a passion for covering martial arts. Giving amateur and professional fighters in Ireland the coverage they deserve.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply